Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Music: Part 1

As I sit here listening to the music coursing into my ears, I can't help but contemplate the enormous affect that music plays on our lives.

The modern day and age, in which we live, is chock full of available, on demand music. Cars whiz by at frightening speeds, all while the teenage driver at the wheel bobs their head in time to rap, rock, or whatever they happen to be listening to. Music has always been a part of our culture and always played an important role in our lives, but today, more than ever before, music crashes into our ears from all possible mediums.

I can't help but think of American Idol, America's Got Talent, Britain's Got Talent, Somalia's Got Talent...I mean. So many shows designed to bring new faces, new musicians, and new music into the world and yet, I wonder if that's really a good thing. Kelly Clarkson, Cas Haley, Susan Boyle; three people I can think of, off the top of my head, that, through the use of a "talent" show, were able to launch a career into the musical world. Now, I'm not saying they are bad musicians or anything, but new people and new music flood our ears every moment of every day and I wonder if people's appreciation of music has become as diluted as the industry?

My thoughts and musings on this came to a head when I listened to a selection of songs that my friend had liked and had put together on a CD. All the songs were off the same basic pattern, rhythm, and genre: rock. Yet, I couldn't help but listen in amazement as I heard two completely separate songs, by two completely different artists, using the same chords and same basic chord structure. I even asked him if thought the songs sounded similar. He said no.

Being raised musical and surrounding myself with a few good musical friends, I've been privileged enough to have a great appreciation and a good understanding of music. So much so, that I couldn't over look two songs sounding the same and the artists actually getting away with it.

I had to understand what was going on to music, where it was going, and why people gave me a leery eye when I mentioned Bob and Dylan together?

No comments:

Post a Comment